Head of the Division - Giorgi Talakhadze
The Regional Division is a primary structural unit of the Public Defender’s Office of Georgia. The Division acts on behalf of the Public Defender of Georgia when carrying out its functions.
The aim of the Regional Division is to ensure the proactive detection of the violations of the rights, in order to promote the effective implementation of the mandate of the Public Defender.
The Regional Division covers Mtskheta-Mtianeti, Racha-Lechkhumi and Kvemo Svaneti regions and unites 9 regional offices across Georgia:
- Adjara office;
- Imereti office;
- Samegrelo office;
- Zemo Svaneti office;
- Guria Office;
- Kakheti office;
- Kvemo Kartli office;
- Shida Kartli office;
- Samtskhe-Javakheti office;
Functions of the Regional Division are:
- To identify and document individual and systemic violations of the rights;
- To advocate for the solutions to problems and systemic violations of the rights;
- To implement measures for educational activities in the area of protection of human rights and freedoms;
- To visit the Penitentiary Department facilities, temporary placement isolators and other types of facilities, when necessary;
- To hold meetings with representatives of state and non-state bodies;
- To register the correspondence, applications/complaints and other documents received by the regional offices of the Public Defender’s Office in the electronic system;
- To receive persons concerned in the regional offices of the Public Defender’s Office, and to provide legal consultation and information to them about the mandate of the Public Defender.