Head of the Department - Lika Tsiklauri
The Department represents a structural unit of the Public Defender’s Office, which acts on behalf of the Public Defender of Georgia when performing its functions.
The Department examines applications and complaints related to the violation of the rights enshrined in the Constitution of Georgia. In particular: freedom of thought, conscience and religion, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and demonstration, freedom of movement; right to work, property, health, right to live in a safe and healthy environment, right to adequate housing, social security, protection of cultural heritage, right to vote; rights situation of IDPs, eco-migrants, repatriated Meskhetians, asylum seekers, refugees, people with humanitarian status, aliens, etc. The Department of Civil, Political, Economic, Social and Cultural Rights assists the Public Defender of Georgia in exercising his/her powers.
Main functions of the Department:
- Examine applications/complaints received by the Public Defender's Office relating to the violation of human rights and fundamental freedoms and draft relevant reports/recommendations/proposals, namely:
- About violation of civil and political rights, if the applicant argues that an action or an act of a public institution violated his/her respective right;
- About violation of economic, social and cultural rights, if the applicant argues that an action or an act of a public institution violated his/her respective right;
- If the applicant argues that the rights and freedoms enshrined in legislation of Georgia were violated during the court proceedings (in civil and administrative cases);
- In relation to the enforcement of judicial acts, if the applicant argues that his/her rights and legitimate interests were violated by the relevant body;
- On other issues that fall under the competence of the Public Defender and do not belong to the functions of another structural unit;
- Thoroughly examine an issue that falls under the competence of the Department, as well as the relevant circumstances;
- Select timely, qualified and substantiated response forms and monitor their implementation;
- Conduct systemic research and analysis on matters within its competence;
- Analyze legislation and draft laws according to the directions of the Department and draft recommendations/proposals;
- Promote public awareness-raising activities to popularize civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights and freedoms in Georgia.