Statement by Chairman of Parliament on Selection of Candidates for Public Defender’s Position
In accordance with the Constitution of Georgia, the Organic Law of Georgia on the Public Defender of Georgia, the Rules and Procedures of the Parliament of Georgia and the Order of the Chairman of the Parliament on the Approval of Rules for Submitting Candidacies for Public Defender’s Position to the Parliament of Georgia in 2022, the Parliament started the process of selecting candidates for the position of the Public Defender of Georgia on September 15, 2022.
According to the Constitution of Georgia:
- a) The person to be elected as the Public Defender of Georgia shall be a citizen of Georgia;
- b) It is not permissible to elect the same person twice in a row as the Public Defender of Georgia.
Applications of persons wishing to be nominated as a candidate for the position of the Public Defender of Georgia must be submitted before September 30, 2022.
The application must include information on: the candidate's name and surname, education, scientific degree (if any), workplace and position, contact address and phone number. The application must be signed by the candidate and must be attached by:
- a) a copy of the ID card or a passport of the citizen of Georgia;
- b) copies of educational documents;
- c) candidate's autobiography (CV);
- d) additional documents relating to the practical experience in the field of human rights and fundamental freedoms, at the discretion of the candidate.
By submitting the application, the candidate gives his/her consent to the search and processing of his/her personal data in accordance with the law.
The application must be submitted in writing, in the name of the Speaker of the Parliament of Georgia, to the following address: 8 Rustaveli Avenue, Tbilisi, or e-mail address: email@example.com.