Public Defender’s Communication to Committee of Ministers of Council of Europe on Execution of ECHR Judgements on Tkhelidze Cases
On November 3, 2023, the Public Defender of Georgia submitted to the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe a communication about the progress of the execution of the judgements of the European Court of Human Rights on the cases of the Tkhelidze group.
The document echoes the recent decision of the Committee of Ministers on the execution of the cases of the Tkhelidze group, as well as the action plans submitted by the Georgian authorities, and evaluates the general measures taken for the execution of judgements.
The communication deals with:
- The effectiveness of institutional mechanisms for ensuring gender equality,
- Positive changes made to the national legislation and gaps remaining in this direction,
- Relevant policy documents in the direction of fight against gender-based violence,
- State response to gender-based violence (including criminal prosecution and court proceedings),
- Risk assessment and prevention of gender-based violence, regulation and provision of support services for victims of violence,
- Awareness of law enforcement officers and judges, public awareness raising, production of statistics on gender-motivated crimes.