Head of the Department - Ilia Chanturaia
Deputy Head of the Department – Maya Mkhatvrishvili
The Department represents a primary structural unit of the Office. The Department shall act on behalf of the Public Defender of Georgia when performing its functions.
Objectives of the Department:
Review the applications received by the Public Defender’s Office, determine their admissibility according to the relevant structural units and respond to them within the framework of its competence.
Main tasks of the Department:
- Check the admissibility of applications received by the Office and respond to them in a timely manner within the framework of its competence;
- Ensure rapid response to non-standard cases during the admissibility process;
- Continuously develop the process of checking the admissibility of incoming applications.
Functions of the Department:
- Check the admissibility of incoming applications/complaints and forward them to the relevant structural units for response;
- Initiate and coordinate the process of creating/developing an application admissibility standard;
- Have constant communication with structural units relating to the admissibility criteria and policy;
- Analyze problems emerging in the process of checking the admissibility of applications and plan solutions to avoid similar problems in the future;
- Individually consider difficult, complex cases, to determine their admissibility, together with relevant structural units, and to distribute them;
- Respond to incoming applications within the framework of the competence established by the case processing rules;
- Examine, evaluate and respond to violations of rights that fall under the competence of the Department, in accordance with case processing rules;
- Search for necessary information and documentation in various agencies and institutions relating to violations of rights that fall under the competence of the Department, in accordance with case processing rules;
- Analyze information obtained and draw up a summary document;
- Maintain and provide statistical and other information on applications/complaints received by the Office to the management, as well as to the heads of structural units on request;
- Forward applications, the consideration of which does not fall under the competence of the Public Defender, to the relevant authorized administrative bodies;
- Control the case processing deadlines and quarterly submit information/report to the management;
- Carry out other functions arising from the specifics of the Department’s activities.